Sunday 5 September 2021

JAMB, 19-year-old candidate disagree over result, board vows prosecution



JAMB’s Registrar, Prof Ishaq Oloyede, who briefed journalists at JAMB’s headquarters in Abuja on Friday on the development, said exam body also handed over a 19-year-old candidate, Chinedu John, to the police over alleged result tampering.

According to Oloyede, John claimed he scored 380 in the examination conducted in June and was surprised to receive 265 from the board after the results were released.

According to Oloyede, the candidate claimed that his UTME scores from 2019 till 2021 were “altered” by the board, thereby denying him the opportunity to study his desired course – medicine.

The JAMB Registrar said, “Initially, the boy was given few minutes to come clean in a closed session with his father and lawyers about the results he was parading but he insisted that his original score from the examination was 380.

“At the Friday meeting, documentary evidence tendered by the board showed that John scored 265 and not the 380 he had claimed.”

“There was never any communication of 380 with this boy. Because this boy has accused JAMB, we are going to withhold his result until the investigation is concluded. We are going to request that our interactions with him be subjected to the public.”

Earlier, John had said, “The result I have been receiving is not the result I am entitled to. I wrote the first JAMB in 2019.

“In 2020, the same thing happened. I scored 343, but by the time I went to the portal to print, I saw 306. I used the 306 and it gave me admission to UI. But because I didn’t have Further Mathematics, I had to forfeit it.

“I decided to leave Medicine and Surgery for them in 2021, so I picked Petroleum Engineering. In 2021, JAMB issued me two results. I saw 380 the first time I checked and then the second time, I saw 265.”

But the board’s Public Relations Officer, Fabian Benjamin, claimed that the candidate confessed to the crime.

He said, “The candidate who was paraded for forging the board’s result has confessed after the board discovered that he saved his sister’s number on his phone as 55019 and used the phone to send the fake result to his phone.

“When he sends such results, they come as 55019.

“He pleaded for mercy that he had to do that when the result he got was not up to what could give him his desired programme.”

#jamb #student #score #medicine

No comments:

Grand Finale of Yoruba Nation Interfaith 3-Day Prayer Marathon

  The Yoruba Nation Interfaith Group invites you to the grand finale of the three-day interfaith fasting and prayers for standing in the gap...